Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: US Department of Justice Victim Notification System

From: Martin Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:11:43 -0400

We got one last week. That was the first of its kind.

--
Martin Manjak
Information Security Officer

Dave Kovarik wrote:
anyone know of where a list of affected institutions might be found?
- Dave Kovarik
Northwestern University
847-467-5930

Frank Peters wrote:
Osmaan and Amir Shah were indicted in April on charges related to a
spamming operation that targeted edu users.

As part of proceeding, the DoJ came into possession of some of their
address lists.

If your institution had any users on those lists then your university
is formally considered by the DoJ to be a victim of their fraudulent
activities and is entitled to be notified of the progress of the case.
It appears to me that they culled whois contact information to
determine who to notify at each institution.

We have received several of these notifications over the last month
or so.

-Fwp

John Rasmussen wrote:
We received a notification from the DOJ

RE:  United States v. Defendant(s) Liu Guang Ming, Amir A. Shah,
I20, Inc., Osmaan Shah, Paul Zucker
Case Number 2004R01026 and Court Docket Number 09-CR-00141

Has anyone else seen this?  It looks to be a case of spamming that
harvested addresses from over 2000 colleges and universities.

John Rasmussen

Information Security Officer & Associate Privacy Officer
OHSU Integrity Office

Oregon Health & Science University

503-494-8480