Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Needed: Industry/Higher Ed Standard Job Title for Lead of Computer Incident Response and Investigations

From: Marty Hoag <marty.hoag () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:23:40 -0500

   You might check some of the surveys that HR departments
would consult for salary "market" such as the HEITS survey
(or whatever they use there). But I don't think you'll find
"God" listed there...

James Moore wrote:
My job responsibilities have shifted.  I started the information
security program here, but now I lead computer incident response and
investigations.  HR is going to be given the task of rebanding me.  My
manager wants to make sure that they compare apples to apples.  He
appreciates that I have a BS, 31 years of experience spread among the
fields of Software engineering (7 years), Systems administration (10
years), and Information security (14 years).  I am able to work with
systems administrators in live investigations because I was one.  I am
able to work with vendors to improve products (which will in turn make
incident response more effective) because I have the background in
information security program development, and understand process,
communication, and management methods.  I am starting to do some tool
development where there are gaps.

I have a CISSP.  I am working on an EnCE, and may also go for a GCIH.

My manager's objective is to get a title that HR could survey and place
me with people of a similar level of experience.

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

If you consciously try to thwart opponents, you are already late.
Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese philosopher/samurai, 1645

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. -Warren Buffet

Confidentiality Notice:  Do the right thing.  If this has the words
"Confidential" or "Private" in the subject line, or similar language in
the email body, or as a label on any attachment, then think.  Do you
know me?  Did you expect to receive this?  Do you recognize and work
with the other addressees?  If not, then you probably received this in
error.  Please, be respectful and courteous, and delete it immediately.
Please, don't forward it to anyone.

Now, wasn't that simple.  Just, if you had made an error in a sensitive
email, and I received it, what would you want me to do with it?