Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Digest - 29 May 2009 to 1 Jun 2009 (#2009-124)

From: Karen Stopford <stopfordk () CT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:51:20 -0400

For the most part I agree, especially with #1.  But I'm not so sure it doesn't matter how students get to the data.
I'm assuming their work is supervised to some extent, and supervision is a psychological deterrent to bad behavior.
Restricting access to times/places where students will be supervised therefore can help prevent data loss where fear of
getting caught is present and motive is fairly low.  Obviously, if someone really wants to get the data, supervision
alone is not a good deterrent.

If it's not too cumbersome, you should be able to limit share access to specified machine accounts only.  But you are
right, you don't want this to lull you into a false sense of security.  The other items you listed plus possibly
disabling USB should be put in place as a matter of standard practice.
Karen

It doesn't matter how much you want. What really matters is how much you want it. The extent and complexity of the
problem does not matter was much as does the willingness to solve it. -Ralph Marston

C. Karen Stopford, CISSP
Associate Executive Officer for I.T. Security
CT State University System
39 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT  06105
(860) 493-0116