Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Disable Adobe Reader javascript?

From: Theodore Pham <telamon () CMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:35:29 -0400

I'm not saying that disabling Javascript in Adobe Reader/Acrobat is a
bad idea, but the client experience with it turned off can be extremely
annoying for your end users.

When we looked into this during the last Adobe zero-day, we found that a
number of our departments had fill-in PDF forms that used Javascript for
validation.  With Javascript disabled, of course the validation didn't
work, but the really annoying thing was that Adobe Reader prompted the
user to re-enable Javascript for EVERY field in the PDF file.  So if
there were 15 fields, it would ask 15 times upon opening the file.

So even if you push the HKCU registry entries to disable Javascript,
chances are a user who deals with these types of fill-in PDF forms will
just re-enable it...

Ted Pham
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University