Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

VMWare Policy Enforcement

From: Karen Stopford <stopfordk () CT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:13:06 -0400

Like most of the world, we are going virtual in our data center and have taken the opportunity to rethink our VLAN
strategy and integrate that with the concept of security zones in the vm world.  The problem is, with the move to
virtual switching you lose some separation of duties between server and network administrators and some abilities to
monitor connections and enforce inter-host communication policies.  We will be using vmotion as well.  In the physical
world, we can use firewalls and layer 2 switches to enforce security policies; in the virtual world, we don't have
these capabilities out of the box.

We are beginning to research options for enforcing network policy consistently across movement of vms.  Cisco and Apani
are two options.  Is anyone out there using Apani or other products to enforce policy?  We'd like to hear how
successful (or not) that has been.

Thanks,
Karen

C. Karen Stopford, CISSP
Associate Executive Officer for I.T. Security
CT State University System
39 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT  06105
(860) 493-0116