Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Institutional use of FaceBook and other social networking sites

From: David Grisham <DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:36:28 -0600

Our hospital administration is being asked to make use of FaceBook or one of the social networking sites for official
business purposes.  Although we have an internal document and blogging option, it's not as glamorous as the current
sites out there.
Given the security issues of embedded Malware in Webpages, Advertisements and messages; we are reluctant to allow or
condone official use of these sites.  We have already seen zero day injections of Trojan programs that have been tough
to remove.

Is there anyone out there using FaceBook or another site safely?  If so, would you share your security policies and
practices?  Anything sent off Listserv will be kept confidential.  Cheers.-grish
David Grisham, Manager ITSecurity, UNM Hospitals