Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ongoing distributed Linux SSH dictionary attack

From: Michael Horne <Michael.Horne () OLIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:05:08 -0400

We have been seeing that type of attack for some time now and decided to implement an older program called SSHDFilter.

I believe this is the one we are using currently.

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/sshdfilter/

Works with SSHD and after X number of failed attempts it drops the source IP address into a drop list in IPtables, then
clears them out after a set time period to not clutter up the Iptables rules.

Your mileage may vary but it has worked well for us for some time now.

May take some tweaking for your environment.

Michael Horne
Network Engineer
Franklin W Olin College of Engineering
Olin Way Needham MA 02492