Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Packetfence

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:56:09 -0400

One of the features of PacketFence is the compromise detection and self-remediation. How well does this work in
practice? ie. do users 'fix' their computers on their own or is a help desk call made?

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto

Shenandoah University is using Packetfence for our residence halls and
we are very happy with it.

I am running an older version (1.6.2) but am very interested in moving
to the newest release with VLan switching.

No real horror stories and the very few times I have needed help their
tech support have been very fast to answer and help resolve the
problem.

Since I was not sure how much a load PF would put on the desktop
hardware I had to run it on I configured our set-up with three
"servers"
to split the load. The main server that runs PF and snort, the MySQL
database server and the optional Nessus server, I am not currently
utilizing the Nessus server.

Currently we have 23344 Nodes (unique MAC addresses) registered in PF.

We have linked PF into Active Directory via LDAP so students register
their computers using their SU user ID and password.

We do have to manually register game consoles that do not have a web
browser interface. PF does have the ability to Auto Register devices
but
I want to know who the device belongs to so if it generates bad traffic
we can contact them to resolve it faster.

Danny

Danny Fox
Information Security Officer (ISO)
Shenandoah University