Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Conflicker/NMAP

From: Dean De Beer <deandebeer () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:46:54 -0400

I'd be careful about using this. It's a VB script that would need to be
pushed out to each machine in the environment. It then tries to resolve a
series of domains with 'norton' in them. It also requires creating A records
on the name server to test against. If they don't resolve then the system is
infected. This is a not a great way to do detects and in a large
infrastructure would likely cause a dos situation on the dns server.

Basically all it does is what this page does:
http://www.joestewart.org/cfeyechart.html