Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SecurID query

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:50:05 +1000

Hi David,

LaPorte, David wrote:
We've done something very similar using SecurID (without PIN) and
existing LDAP credentials using Radiator.  I'd be happy to talk nuts and
bolts off-list if you'd like.

Ah, excellent!  Forgot to mention, that we are migrating away from an
ancient Radiator server to FreeRADIUS, which is why we want to leverage
FreeRADIUS - doh.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Vickers wrote:
Hi all,

Spurred by Jeff Murphy's inquiry about 2FA (two factor authentication)
OTP systems, I have a query:

We are looking at SecurID, but don't like how it doesn't integrate with
an *existing* password system.  We are trying to leverage our existing
account credentials along with SecurID:  i.e. use our existing LDAP
username/password credentials as well as the SecurID tokencode - not
passcode - for authentication *at the one point* on our network.

This way we leverage our existing authentication credentials and
mechanism without asking users to remember a second password (PIN part
of the passcode).  We know how to do this with FreeRADIUS, but haven't
actually got the resource to write the script for FreeRAIDUS.

If you have implemented SecurID in this way or similar, please let me know!

Thanks,

--
Greg Vickers
Phone: +61 7 3138 6902