Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: firewall holes for particular machines

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:41:15 -0400

2009/5/13 Kevin Shalla <kshalla () uic edu>:

I've been working with some people to set up firewall rules to allow
particular IP addresses.  We're going to be changing many IP addresses soon,
but keeping the same hostnames for them, so I suggested setting the firewall
rules to use hostnames instead, so that there would be no downtime, and less
maintenance the next time IP addresses change.  My thinking is that there
isn't much security that's added by using IPs instead of hostnames, and
using hostnames would slightly increase the processing needed, but hostnames
are more convenient.  Am I missing something?

Yes.

DNS servers can get poisoned. DNS can get hijacked (look at the
spectacle late last year). Think about the amount of traffic that your
firewall would generate just looking up IP addresses for the
associated sessions, probably per packet.

Ever had a machine on the inside of your network become infected with
something like torpig/dnschanger? Any machine in that VLAN that gets
an IP/DNS information via DHCP can have its DNS settings changed.

Look at when the hostnames are looked up on the firewall software. Is
it at load or is it on the fly/per session? Do you have change
management procedures where firewall modifications are noted/logged?
If so, using hostname instead of IP will break that model because you
don't know when (or even if...) the IP address for a hostname has
changed.

In a static environment where you *know* that the only rules using
hostnames are for *your* machines, and you can *always* guarantee that
the DNS information will be correct and you can *always* guarantee
that your DNS servers will *never* be compromised and a few other
"ands", it's a fine idea. In practice, though, it comes down to risk
management. In your scenario, or at UIC, it may be worthwhile to use
hostnames. I can't, in good conscience, say it's anything other than a
bad idea for *our* campus.

If this comes off as a bit jumpy, my apologies. We just had a huge
discussion about this this morning when a vendor recommended we do
this because they don't know the IP pool of their own application
servers so it's a sort of touchy topic at the moment.

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems