Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Streaming Video and Internet Capacity

From: "Wood, Anne (wood)" <wood () JUNIATA EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:27:59 -0500

Good Morning,
We are struggling with Internet bandwidth due mostly to the large increase in online videos and programming (YouTube,
ESPN, Netflix, etc).  We are a small liberal arts school with approximately 1400 students who live mostly on campus.
We do shape the Internet pipe using a Packetshaper, but only at an application level (not per person, connection, or
site).  We have been working with a 45 Mbps link since last March and are trying to figure out what other schools have
done to deal with the increase in demand from residential students and if those changes are working.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Anne Wood
Director of Campus Network and Security
Juniata College