Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Encryption

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:14:38 -0500

Timothy Payne wrote:

Can anyone share with the list their experiences with enterprise level
encryption products?  I'm most interested in products that use some
sort of 2-factor authentication...ie, a USB key required to boot and a
password, or password/checksum combo.

We're currently using native capabilities ( EFS and file vault ) but
have switched to purchasing all laptops with the Seagate full encryption
hard drive. Key backup and recovery is manual at the present time.
We have limited deployment to high risk areas known to handle sensitive
data and are making an effort to control sensitive data storage in
other areas.

We've been lightly exploring commercial enterprise management offerings
but the prices are exorbitant, particularly right now.

I'm hoping the following standards will result in more competition
and realistic prices in the enterprise arena and maybe even some
open source offerings eventually.

For management:
http://www.darkreading.com/security/encryption/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=O0PB2MTZ4GB1KQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=214000040

For encrypted hard drives: