Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ASP Session ID Reuse

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:34:35 -0700

Neil,

I have designed a variety of ASP.Net applications and found a number of
behaviors along these lines that can be problematic.  One of them occurs
when a program is supposed to clear the session Id, but fails to do so when
it ends abnormally.  Sometimes 'abnormally' means that the user closed the
browser, as opposed to logging out of the application.  Other examples are
session Ids that are not cleared for a period after the application
terminates.  Anyway, yes, the session ID cookies should be cleared at the
end of the session, but they often fail to clear for a number of reasons.
Make sure that when you test, you take into account normal and abnormal
log-outs,

Ozzie Paez

SSE/CISSP

SAIC