Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email Naming Conventions

From: STEVE MAGRIBY <magriby () UT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:44:57 -0500

We are in the process of outsourcing Alumni Email to Microsoft's
Live.edu. In the future we may consider outsourcing current students to
Live.edu.

Considering the likelihood that these will be "cradle to grave" email
accounts we are trying to determine how best to establish an email
username that will be intuitive but still minimize the need to include
numbers in the username.

Currently we are planning to start out with:
                1st name.last name (i.e. John.Doe@)
                1st name.MI.last  name (i.e. John.J.Doe@)
                1stnameLastname (i.e. johndoe@)

We would appreciate suggestions from anyone using  a naming convention
that the users are comfortable with.