Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Skype?

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:03:43 -0500

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Basgen, Brian wrote:

We have historically blocked Skype through our IPS. However, we recently re-evaluated and found many of the early
problems with Skype have been addressed. Here are our findings:

1.      Resource Use:
a.      Supernode: Information on hundreds of other Skype users
could be routed through the PCC network. A PCC computer would act as
a "communications" hub for these users, with all call setups going
through the PCC computer. This "functionality" is on by default, but
can be disabled by altering the Windows Registry.

We find, by tracing Netflow records, that a supernode will contact
over 500,000 different remote machines a day (yes, 500K).
Typically, we disable machines once they get to this number of
NetFlow records.

Mike

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V