Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Networked Printer Best Practice

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:01:51 -0500

Some of the printer vendors have published some specific security guidance documents for their equipment.  I know Xerox
had some good docs for theirs (http://www.xerox.com/information-security/product/enus.html) and I think I saw some from
HP (http://www.hp.com/large/solutionhomeshared/ipgsecureprinting.html).

Most are vendor-specific or model specific.

There is an IEEE working group on the topic - http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/2600/  Unfortunately, you need a login to
get to the draft documents.  So if it's a major issue, you can request funding to attend their Feb meeting in Hawaii
:-)

It looks like Minnesota State wrote up a printer security standard:
http://www.mnsu.edu/its/security/network%20attached%20printers.pdf

Depending on how you've written your general IT security standards, a lot of printing security issues may already be
covered (must stay current on patches, no unnecessary services offered, no clear-text authentication, etc).

Interestingly, I just learned that Google has no entries for "printer security guide" or "printer security checklist",
which was surprising.

Brad Judy