Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: checklists/auditing within the IT department

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:25:43 -0500

When I was working on a questionnaire for IT risk assessment, I created one
based largely on NIST 800 series docs (800-26 and 800-53).  I recommend
looking at the NIST 800 series special publications -
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html

It looks like they pulled the self assessment questionnaire document I
referenced from their website, which is unfortunate because I found it to be
a good starting point (I have a copy if you'd like one).  I liked the
approach of asking not only if something was being done, but also if it was
documented and if someone was verifying that it was being done.  These
aspects are often weaknesses, particularly in an IT shop that is stretched
thin on human resources.  In the end, we changed a lot of the questions and
cut down the length quite a bit, so the end product is a bit different.

Naturally, there's CERT OCTAVE stuff too, but it's a LOT to sift through if
you're just looking for a simple questionnaire.  http://www.cert.org/octave/

U Virginia has a good website on their IT risk management process that
includes their questionnaires:
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/security/riskmanagement/

I'll keep Rodney happy and plug the Educause Security Risk Assessment and
Analysis section too :-)
http://connect.educause.edu/term_view/Security%2BRisk%2BAssessment%2Band%2BAnalysis

Brad Judy