Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendation for CISSP bootcamp

From: Kim Cary <Kim.Cary () PEPPERDINE EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:50:44 -0800

The one I attended was the SANS CISSP+S. Eric Cole's course material
(and audio) is excellent and homes in on what you need for the test.
You will also discuss test strategy for this exam. It was pretty much
all I did (other than reference a couple concepts in the CISSP
official & Shon Harris guides).

I went to UCLA in the sciences and took plenty of tough objective
exams... this one was tougher, IMO (or maybe the undergrad toughness
dims with 30 years distance). I really didn't know where I stood after
finishing the exam. I talked to my SANS instructor, though, and
described how I took the exam and he said not to worry. Sure enough,
golden.

CISSP has a lot of detractors from a technical point of view. However,
despite the CISSP knowledge domains being a mile wide and inches deep,
I end up using the CISSP concepts in system, project and policy design
all the time.

Disclaimer: as well as being a SANS graduate, I'm also a SANS Mentor
instructor for CISSP+S beginning this January.

Dr. Kim Cary, CISSP
Pepperdine University
Information Security Officer
310 506 6655