Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student Workers in IS (summary)

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:06:35 -0500

Are you employing student workers in the IS group?

YES

Are you satisfied and is it working out for you?

YES

What tasks and responsibilities do you assign to a student worker?

YES

locating offending IP addresses

analyzing packet captures

assessing malware infected machines

data analysis

tool development

They have access to all of our monitoring and query systems

They can set up and run our weekly nessus scans.

They help with hardware upgrades.

They help with forensic analysis in some cases.

They interact with users about vulnerabilities and compromise.

programming area, helpdesk area, networking and operations area

run various reports

mailing labels

NO

access to routing equipment, firewall systems, nor user information
databases

forensics work

access to any production systems

What are the pros and cons of having a student worker help the IS team?

PRO

$ savings for the department

possibility of hiring them after graduation

access to informal student channels of communication

students bring a level of interest, inquisitiveness and expertise

Many of our monitoring tools have been developed or improved by those
student workers

full time employee will have supervision experience and opportunity to learn
from students who are always ahead of newest technology

For students it's one of the best opportunities to learn and stick with same
school, until they graduate

CONS

finding people you can trust

they are temporary

Any other comments or suggestions?

We keep a good relationship with the computer science & EE departments

Focusing on character before skill sets mitigates many potential problems

we cherry-pick from the ones that have worked at the ServiceDesk and show an
aptitude for the technology as well as a reliability and trustworthiness on
the job

screen for the right candidate (their interest to learn )