Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortigate Appliance

From: David Boyer <david () BVU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:33:43 -0600

We have a pair of Fortigate 500A's. We replaced a Lucent firewall, cisco 7206 VXR router, and Packeteer Packetshaper
with the Fortigate's. We've been very happy with them.

We aren't using the BGP or VPN capabilities of them (yet), but we're doing routing, shaping, firewall, malware
scanning, and IDS with them.

Just a couple small complaints: I don't feel like the traffic shaping is as "responsive" as the Packetshaper's. It's
not as granular, and it seems like the Packetshaper would respond to slight adjustments better than the Fortigates.
Also, if you're looking at a Fortianalyzer for getting useful reports and other traffic details, I'd suggest getting
one that's over-engineered for what you need. If not and there's something you feel like you want to be seeing in
near-real time, you'll end up waiting while it  consumes the log files.

Allan Nelson <allan.nelson () UTT EDU TT> 12:13 PM 11/27/2008 >>>
Hello:

We at the University of Trinidad and Tobago are in the process of
evaluating Fortinet's Fortigate security appliance. I would like to know
if other Universities are using this particular appliance and what are
your comments from experience on this effectiveness.  We have looked at
Gartner who has it highly rated and the Fortinet website cites a number
of Universities (http://www.fortinet.com/solutions/education.html) who
have deployed this solution.  Any and all comments would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Allan Nelson
UTT
allan.nelson () utt edu tt