Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendors, Data and Escrow (Oh my!)

From: "St Clair, Jim" <Jim.StClair () GT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:31:21 -0500

A very reasonable concern, Daniel. Can we assume all of these provisions are not built into the contract?

In addition to Service Level Agreements, your contracts should have provisions for "disentanglement" (how to get out of
it) and the data and code and information be escrowed to support it, as well as business continuity reasons.

I have seen a large government contract get extended and over-funded because the agency literally did not have
requirements established to maintain access to all of this subject information when the contract expired. The agency
ended up in "mother may I?" negotiations with the vendor to facilitate transfer to a new contract winner.

James A. St.Clair, CISM, PMP
Senior Manager
Global Public Sector
Grant Thornton LLP
T  703-637-3078
F  703-637-4455
C  703-727-6332
E  jim.stclair () gt com

The people in the independent firms of Grant Thornton International Ltd provide personalized attention and the highest
quality service to public and private clients in more than 100 countries. Grant Thornton LLP is the U.S. member firm of
Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the six global audit, tax and advisory organizations. Grant Thornton
International Ltd and its member firms are not a worldwide partnership, as each member firm is a separate and distinct
legal entity.
In the U.S., visit Grant Thornton LLP at http://www.grantthornton.com/.