Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Workers in IS

From: Robin Polak <robin.polak () GMAIL COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:49:53 -0500

I have had students assist in the locating offending IP addresses within
network closets.  As well as involved them in the process of analyzing
packet captures to show them what to look for to identify potentially
malicious activity amongst valid network traffic.  However, I certainly
would not feel comfortable with students having any access to routing
equipment, firewall systems, nor user information databases.  To answer your
questions directly we do not have an IS group being that we are as small as
we are.  However, we certainly do emply students with the IT group.  FYI, I
am the Network Manager for the College of Mount Saint Vincent in Riverdale,
NY.  I have certainly been satisifed by the work of students that have the
motivation to learn about network management, security, and accountability.
Another role I have felt comfortable assigning to student is assessing
malware infected machines where it is abundantly clear the the user did not
intentionally violate our acceptable use policy.