Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Loss Prevention Companies

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:23:54 -0800

As I see it, there are three major challenges to any DLP solution:

1.  Does it address physical removal and transport of devices/media?  How?

2.  Does it address encrypted network transmissions?  How?

3.  How does it recognize our sensitive data -- without its own recognition
database becoming
the juiciest target in the enterprise?

  I submit that a product without good answers to these questions falls
short of being a
"solution".

David Gillett
CISSP