Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virtualization and Security ?

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:12:58 -0500

One thing to remember about virtualization is that ALL of your virtual
machines now depend on the security of the host machine. This makes
system maintenance (patches, new tools, etc.) on the HOST system more
difficult because of scheduling issues with the services provided by
the VM systems running on the host.  So, you need to carefully
consider WHAT services are to be run on a host so that you can do
maintenance on the host system on a regular schedule.

Since the host system now becomes the target, its security is paramount.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office