Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measuring security

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 13:26:56 -0500

Hi,

There is a sub committee of effective practices working on security metrics (I am chairing it.)  We have broken them
(the metrics) into 4 types

Compliance Metrics
Executive Metrics
Incident Metrics
Operational Metrics

In each, we are looking for important (as defined by us :-) metrics that meet our criteria of

Automate-ability
Reproduce-ability
Non-Subjectivism

We are also looking to develop metrics that can be compared in a meaningful way between various institutions, the
significance of this is to allow real
comparisons to be done of various security implementations or products.

We will be building a cook book from these metrics (at least 3 in each category) so that by following our recipes, any
institute (large or small, rich or poor)
could build a meaningful set of metrics and know how they are doing, in a similar way that a doctor can tell something
about your health by looking at your
blood pressure and various other tests.

I realize that this is a high level (meaning not really useful :-) look at what we are doing, but we should have some
useful content available soon.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel