Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: National Student Clearinghouse authentication changes

From: Alex <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:17:30 -0500

That sounds like a poor idea.
The GET field as specified by the RFC is intended for providing query data,
not for providing data to a server.
In addition, this could lead to cacheing of the URL, containing the user's
SSN.
Also, most web servers log the GET requests, but do not log the POST data.
Which means, that the SSN would likely also be stored on the web server, and
not just a back-end database.
I don't know the whole story on this or technical details, but those are
some of my opinions.

-Alex Everett, CISSP
University of North Carolina