Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy publication

From: "Shalla, Kevin" <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:01:00 -0500

So the systems are not configured to lock an account after a certain
number of failed password attempts?  Isn't brute force by definition dumb,
and it doesn't try just common passwords (and so try billions of
passwords)?  Or maybe brute-force is smarter now, and first does a
dictionary attack, then uses strings containing the username, etc..  But
still, isn't it going to try hundreds, if not thousands of passwords?