Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

REN-ISAC TechBurst webcast on DNSSEC

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () REN-ISAC NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:10:22 -0400

DNSSEC -- Living and Loving Life after Kaminsky
Or: How I overcame my fear and signed my zones

REN-ISAC TechBurst webcast
October 30, 2008, noon EDT
http://www.ren-isac.net/techburst

Dear all,

REN-ISAC[1] holds monthly 'TechBurst' webcasts on technical cyber
security topics. Until now, TechBursts have been open only to REN-ISAC
members. We've decided to experiment with opening up some webcasts to
non-members. The first such TechBurst will take place this Thursday,
October 30, at noon EDT. The topic is DNSSEC, and the speaker is Alan
Clegg, Support Engineer for Internet Systems Consortium (ISC). The
session abstract and speaker bio are provided below.

If you'd like to view and participate (Q&A) in the live TechBurst
webcast, register at: http://www.ren-isac.net/techburst.

The webcast will be recorded and archived, available at the same link.

Please join us for this interesting and timely webcast.

Regards,

Doug Pearson
Technical Director, REN-ISAC
dodpears () ren-isac net
http://www.ren-isac.net

-----------------------

DNSSEC -- Living and Loving Life after Kaminsky
Or: How I overcame my fear and signed my zones

Session Abstract
----------------

With the fear and uncertainty caused by Dan Kaminsky's new attack vector
against DNS, the subsequently mandated deployment of DNSSEC into the
.gov namespace, and the political debate surrounding the signing of the
root zone, the race is on to secure DNS. This talk will explain the
recent events that lead up to the government mandate and will help the
system administrator and their managers to understand the next steps
towards deploying a safe end-to-end DNS infrastructure. The talk will
provide an overview of DNSSEC, its interoperability with existing DNS,
and will outline the steps required to begin testing and deployment of
DNSSEC. Examples of configuration and deployment of DNSSEC will be given
using ISC's BIND[2].

Our featured speaker is Alan Clegg.

Bio
---

Alan Clegg is a Support Engineer for Internet Systems Consortium.  In
this position, Alan provides training and support for BIND and ISC DHCP.

Alan has over 20 years providing support and management of Internet
facing systems, and as a Dale Carnegie trained public speaker, he has
provided tailored learning experiences to corporations (Banc One,
Jefferson Pilot Communications), at conventions and meetings (BSDcon,
InfraGard, HTCIA), and as part of his job with Berkeley Software Design.

During the NSF funded rollout of Internet access to higher education,
Alan assisted in the deployment of "high speed" (56k!) network access to
all 2 and 4 year degree granting, publicly funded colleges and
universities in North Carolina. Later, as a member of the technical
staff of Berkeley Software Design, he provided training and support for
the BSD/OS and FreeBSD operating systems. More recently, Alan was a
member of the senior engineering team at Hosted Solutions, a data center
solutions provider with multiple data centers in North Carolina and
Massachusetts.

Alan is involved with InfraGard, a public/private partnership between
the Federal Bureau of Investigation and providers of infrastructure in
the United States, and has previously served on the board of directors
for the Eastern Carolina Chapter.

Serving as a volunteer firefighter for over 18 years, Alan became an
American Red Cross Disaster Services volunteer following hurricane
Katrina. He is also a trainer for the FEMA Community Emergency Response
Team, specializing in CERT response to acts of terrorism.