Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spam with return receipt

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:46:30 -0500

The spammers have probably started doing this to exploit an Outlook bug.

Outlook will send a "not read" receipt if the server or user deletes a
message that hasn't been opened in that particular instance of Outlook.
 This apparently happens even if the user completely disables the
receipts option in Outlook.  It appears that Microsoft still hasn't
fixed it after *years*.

We have not found a work around, other than to upgrade to Thunderbird.

Jesse

Roger Safian wrote:
Greetings,

In the last couple of days I have noticed a dramatic increase in
spam that has been tagged with return receipt requested.  I have
disabled this on my system, but have it set to notify me when a
message is so tagged.  I like to know who is spying on me.  ;-)

Until recently this was used rarely by the spammers.  In the last
few days more than half my spam is so tagged.  Has anyone else noticed
this increase?

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison