Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISA Server for Microsoft Exchange

From: "Dobbins, Gary" <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:19:48 -0400

To some degree, it’s like the old “no one ever got fired for buying IBM” parable.
ISA is “Microsoft’s Firewall” for their servers which must be exposed to the Internet.

Since most MS products are designed to be exposed to the InTRAnet only, it makes some sense that they would have a
special prophylactic for when they need InTERnet exposure, and ISA is it.  Whether you consider that sufficient - or
want to augment it with your own app-layer shield - is a matter of taste, but I would definitely not recommend exposing
any of their servers to the unfiltered Internet without *at least* having their own recommended layer in front.
Minimum defensible diligence.