Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Desktop Management

From: Andy Rivers <rivers () TENNESSEE EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:07:07 -0400

Good Morning,

I was wondering what everyone is using to manage their workstations.  We
currently have several pilot projects going to evaluate different products
and technologies, and I was curious how everyone else is managing their
desktops.  We are primarily interested in how administrative workstations
are handled, not necessarily how labs are managed.

Here are a few specific areas that we are wondering about:

- Is Active Directory the primary choice for managing Windows clients?  If
so, how widely deployed is it?  All workstations?  Also, how strict of a
policy are you applying?

- How are policies and other activities managed in AD? All centrally?
Delegate OU administration?

- What, if anything, are you using to push policy to OS X and Linux clients?

- Has anyone tested or currently using products like Centrify and Likewise?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy Rivers
University of Tennessee