Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISA Server for Exchange?

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:56:20 +1200

First a disclaimer -- I am not an expert on things MS...

We have recently been through the same issues and this is my
understanding of it:

Preferred remote access by outlook to an exchange server is RPC over
HTTP. The simple minded approach to this is to open up port 80/443 on
your exchange server to the world and ...  The problem is that this
exposes your *all* exchange server's RPC services to the world.  You
are vulnerable to any bugs that can be exploited via RPC, effectively
you are exposing port 135.  Enter ISA, this acts as a proxy for
incoming RPC requests and can filter out those not explicitly need for
Outlook to access mail.

Russell