Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Copyright complaints

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:14:15 -0500

At 04:07 PM 9/18/2008, Cal Frye put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Dick Jacobson wrote:
We received several DMCA complaints this week from mediasentry.com for
Warner Bros for The Dark Knight.

On many of these the students seem genuinely innocent. (We have not
"touched" any of the boxes to confirm this.)

Is anyone else seeing recent notices from mediasentry.com that are
possibly questionable ?

Hm. I remember seeing one of these this week, but as far as we've
checked to date, it looked reasonable. I.e. Torrent traffic from the
reported, valid IP at the reported time. Haven't yet heard from the
student.

We had one on the 13th...it also appears to have been legitimate.
(flow data supported the complaint)

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.