Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IDP/IDS products

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:23:17 -0400

1. Inline
2. Traffic based with certain filters triggering the Quarantine/Responder
feature.
3. In my 2.5 years of working with it, 1 false positive on our profile.  At
the time, the particular filter preventing the traffic was set to "Block"
and it took us a bit of investigating to figure that out.  Now we ensure all
filters are set to "Block + Notify."
4. Tippingpoint.  I wasn't part of the selection process, but we have
compared it to ISS (IBM) and NitroSecurity and found each to be lacking in
key areas that Tippingpoint provides.
5. The few we have found have been related to the SMS server and they where
minor.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University