Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized vs. Decentralized IT

From: Bob Bayn <Bob.Bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:23:33 -0600

Decades ago, the precursor to our IT snubbed* these
new-fangled microcomputer thingies, favoring the
big iron already in our exclusive control.  That was
the beginning of decentralization here, and we are
still trying to recover.  Certainly a lot of specific
systems and support should be under local control, but
what are now commodity services (enterprise databases,
email, networking, security, etc) should be centrally
managed to reduce duplication of effort and to increase
redundant support for these services.

*I was a cog in the wheel way back then, and didn't
know any better myself, from my perspective.

--
Bob Bayn  ride-a-bike (435)797-2396
Network Security Team coordinator