Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HIDS/File integrity checker

From: Aaron Cayard-Roberts <cayaraa () EARLHAM EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:42:08 -0400

Hello all,

We're looking at ways to secure our *unix servers (mostly FreeBSD and
Solaris) and I was wondering what others use for detecting a compromise.
 We've installed tripwire here and there but its not really a breeze to
  keep updated across a bunch of servers.  One alternative that we're
looking at is Samhain because of its client/host based nature with
centralized administration:  http://la-samhna.de/samhain/

It sounds very nice (almost like a client server version of tripwire)
but I haven't found a huge amount of comments about it in my searches.
So I'm wondering if anyone here has used it and has anything to share
about it.  Comments about other similar applications are of course
welcome too.

Thanks,
Aaron

--