Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Online Gaming (Xbox, PS3, Wii, PC Games, and Future Consoles etc.)

From: Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:44:32 -0400

We allow game consoles at Penn College.  We recently implemented 802.1x on Wireless so we created an Internet Only SSID
for game consoles.  Students must register their MAC address of the Game Console in order to be able to use the special
network.  So far it was worked out well.  We use a packet shaper to throttle traffic giving college related business
more priority than gaming.  However we supply enough bandwidth to support computer games and game consoles.

Daniel R. Bennett
CompTIA Security+
Information Technology Security Analyst
Pennsylvania College of Technology