Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access Policies

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:10:10 -0400

Todd,

I can't speak for how prevalent is this model, but in our case the VPN is positioned mainly as a way of getting "on"
the campus LAN, and not a form of access in and of itself.  Access to information is governed by the systems and
applications, not the VPN.  Therefore, our VPN is just a location-shifter (makes you "local" so non-public-serving
systems don't need to trust the whole world) and thus its use is covered by the same overarching Responsible Use Policy
that covers activity when physically using the campus net.