Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Grant Machines

From: "Kieper, David" <kieperd () UWGB EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:27:05 -0500

First we remind them that grant money is the same as institutional money.  They do not own the computer equipment in
any way, shape, or form.  We let them know the expected life for the computer (3 to 4 years) and that after that, if
they do not have funds to support a replacement, the asset will have to be retired.  They are also informed that when
the computer is retired, it has to be processed back through our office to be disposed of properly according to state
property rules. Any equipment bought improperly by individuals will not be reimbursed or supported by the University.

We have standard system configurations (PC/Mac, desktop/laptop) that we stock and all computers must be purchased
through our department.  All that are to remain attached to the campus network will have our standard configuration and
software load (OS, patch management, AV, etc.).

For those computers that will spend most time off campus, we will still set them up with A/V and auto-update for as
many products as we can.  We encourage these persons to bring them back to our office once a year for a "check up"
which enables us to update other applications that they may do on their own.

Regards,

David Kieper
Manager, Network and Infrastructure Services
Information Technology Security Officer
Information Services Division
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay             office: (920) 465-2238
2420 Nicolet Drive                                      fax:    (920) 465-2864
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001   USA                 email:  kieperd () uwgb edu