Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Security Governance Structures?

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:02:32 -0700

Hi Martin,

 I think only a few large institutions have a dedicated security
governance structure. I've heard of two programs that have them, and
they are impressive, but it seems to be an option for a large school, as
opposed to a requirement for all schools.

mean that most institutions don't have some form of
governance when it comes to information security?

 As a medium sized institution, our governance comes from our
Chancellor. There are several external committees (including an IT
committee) that have an advisory role and have chimed in on various
security issues, but our Chancellor makes the decisions.

If that's the case, how are decisions made that affect the
institution's security posture? How are assets ranked and
vulnerabilities prioritized?
How is risk assessment performed? Who decides what
investments are made into what technologies and controls?

 These questions are pretty different, and I don't think they are
governance issues. Risk assessment, for example, is sometimes an entire
department in an institution, and has many components that should
include the ISO. Yet, *how* risk is performed is determined by these
functional units -- governance only dictates that risk assessments are
performed.

It seems to me that if you get governance right, many other
things fall into place because you get institutional
recognition of risk and endorsement of mitigation strategies.

 If governance in the institution emanates by committee, then that
sounds right. I'm curious if many institutions operate in this fashion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College

Looks like I have to answer my own query.

The lack of response to this question is intriguing. Does it
mean that most institutions don't have some form of
governance when it comes to information security?

If that's the case, how are decisions made that affect the
institution's security posture? How are assets ranked and
vulnerabilities prioritized?
How is risk assessment performed? Who decides what
investments are made into what technologies and controls?

It seems to me that if you get governance right, many other
things fall into place because you get institutional
recognition of risk and endorsement of mitigation strategies.
M-

Martin Manjak wrote:
I'm curious to know what kinds of governance structures and
processes
people might have in place at their various institutions
when it comes
to information security. How are institutional priorities
determined,
who decides, and how do those get promulgated to the campus?
M-

--
Martin Manjak
Information Security Officer