Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ID Cards for Distance Learning Students

From: "A. Harry Williams" <Harry () MARIST EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:18:45 -0400

Yetnikoff, Arlene wrote:
Hello,

Slightly off-topic for information security, but I have been asked to
look into the issues with providing university ID cards to our distance
learning students.

I'd love to learn from my colleagues if your institutions have done
this, and what types of controls you put around the process.  Of course,
the major issue in this is verifying that the picture we receive is
indeed the student we have enrolled.

We issue a non-photo ID to Distance Learning students that request
them.  It is the same as the regular ID, but in place of the photo is
text that says something along the lines of "Photo ID required to be valid"

Thanks very much for any help and opinions in this area.

Best regards,

Arlene Yetnikoff
Director of Information Security
DePaul University