Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Scanner for sensitive information

From: Isac Balder <piis8 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:41:18 -0700

Wayne,

First let me adress the specific question
My question is whether there is some product or other
software that I
can run centrally that can help me assist webmasters keep
sensitive
information inaccessible to the public. Ideally, I would
like to do this
on much the same way I use my vulnerability scanner now.

Yes and No.
There are products both commercial and free.
Centrally managed tools will mostly fall in the commercial arena.  Your commercial tools will also get pricey real
quick as they are often marketed under the buzzwords of DLP, data leakage prevention.
Most of your free tools will be stand alone clients without automated upstream reporting.

You effectively mention two seperate things here
PII on the server harddrive
and
PII accessable to the public

I seperate them mainly because you specifically mentioned web servers.

To address the first.  The two main free tools are
Schedule a time to meet with and coordinate the work with your web team as you will need privelges or someone
cooperative with privelges.

Univeristy of Texas senf is nice - multi platform java based.
https://source.its.utexas.edu/groups/its-iso/projects/senf/

Cornell Spider is also nice - windows .net based / seperate *nix client. http://www.cit.cornell.edu/security/tools/

and
recently found University of Illinois's Firefly for Mac (have not played with this one yet) http://firefly.uiuc.edu

Now to address the 2nd item, Information that is actually accessable to the public.  It's a bit manual but I have to
say goolge hacking, and not just on google, also hit other search engines.

CDC's Goolag is nice to automate the Google searches, just make sure you change the default time settings so that you
do not get blocked by google.
http://www.goolag.org/

Happy Scanning

I.B.

"Say hello to all the apples on the ground"