Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS interpretation questions

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:07:31 -0700

With regard to 8.3, two-factor authentication standard definition is "something you know and something you have."
Something you know is a password or passphrase or some other secret. Something you have is a keycard (token),
fingerprint or iris (biometric), RSA card--something physical (maybe with a certificate) and difficult to duplicate.
Two-factor would definitely _not_ be two passwords or two fingerprints. The idea is to reduce the possibility of
impersonation and increase the confidence in the identity.

1.3.9 is one of those things that may be workable or not depending on the political climate of your organization. As
for are personally owned computers in the scope for compliance? Yes, so long as they are used to access the portion of
your network where transaction processing involving credit cards is done. This is where you need to look at the policy
you have in place and what controls it addresses for use of personally owned equipment to conduct financial
transactions--or even be in the same network segment where financial transactions are conducted.

This can get dicey for some small colleges where the network is flat and administrative, cashiering and student
activities are not separated.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)