Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Addresses Changes in IT

From: David Lassner <david () HAWAII EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:57:26 -1000

I'm with Michael.  I haven't read this as carefully as I need to, but
I think they got it pretty right.  A few observations:

The designation as "directory information" means that a data element
is PUBLIC unless the student explicitly opts out (according to FERPA
rules).  It has nothing to do with directory technology.   Think
"directory" = "printed phone book" and you'll get FERPA-speak.  In
this case, PUBLIC means that it can be given out to salespeople,
newspapers and vexatious requesters under FOIA.  But it is not 100%
public since all students must be given the option to opt out of
having their directory information publicly disclosed.

To the extent university employees need access to information to do
their jobs, they can be provided with such access independent of
whether a data element is "directory information" or whether a student
has opted out.  Nothing in FERPA is intended (lack of emphasis mine)
to frustrate the ability of institutions to do their jobs.  This
applies to lookups via a student ID, the sending of institutional
email and tax reporting with SSNs.

I agree that the proposed language is not helpful to those who think
that institutions need to provide and manage standard identifiers that
can be used for the posting of grades on pieces of paper outside
office doors.  Even if one believes this practice is worth fighting
over, designation of any proposed identifier as "directory
information" is not the solution to this problem since no directory
information can be posted for students who have opted out.  So every
faculty member would have to consult the opt-out list and manually
refrain from posting grades for any students who had opted out of
public disclosure of their directory information.

What did I like most?

If we think beyond grades posted on pieces of paper to issues
associated with learning, this proposal nails a major exposure.  The
current guidelines have been interpreted to prohibit disclosing to
students any information about other students in classes if they have
opted out of disclosure of their directory information.  E.g., if
email address is directory information (as is standard), then
disclosure of this information to other students in the class was
considered to be a PUBLIC disclosure and inappropriate for students
who might have opted out of inclusion in phone books and other really
public media.  This would apply to other "handles" as well.
Addressing this issue is a big step forward for those who believe that
online collaboration might be important in current and future learning
environments.

david