Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: user account compromise?

From: "Brian K. Doré" <bkd () LOUISIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:19:53 -0500

Did someone simply put your users return address on a batch of spam?   Or is one of your campus mail servers the source
of the email?

If it's the former, then there is not much you can do.   You might be able to find more information about the source by
examining the headers in bounced mail, but more than likely you'll just find someone with a compromised machine being
used as a spambot.

If the mail originated from your servers, them you should have logs to determine more about the situation.

I'll pass on the responsibility questions...

Brian

Brian Doré
University of Louisiana at Lafayette