Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Vista Security questions -

From: "Bruggeman, John" <jbruggeman () HUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:37:30 -0400

Hello -
I am presenting at the EDUCAUSE Security conference (May 5th - 6th) and
I want to get a sense from this group how many schools have implemented
a SOP for securing Vista.   The session is on Tuesday morning,
"Effective Windows Desktop Security: XP and Vista", the slide deck will
be posted after the presentation so we can all share ideas and tips.

My five quick questions are as follows:
1) Do you have a Standard Operating Procedure for securing Vista and XP?
(I'm guessing most do for XP, but I'm not sure about Vista.)

2) Do you run any particular tools (other than what MS provides) to
secure the desktop?

3) Do you use User Account Control or do you disable it?

4) Do you use Windows Defender or disable it?

5) What would you like MS to change to make Vista more secure or easier
to secure?

Please feel free to reply to me and I will summarize for the list. If
you have other tips or ideas that you would like to share, let me know.
Thank you for your time!
John
John Bruggeman      Director of Information Systems
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati   *  New York * Los Angeles * Jerusalem
jbruggeman () huc edu   www.huc.edu