Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Addresses Changes in IT

From: "Michael R. Gettes" <gettes () MIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:36:04 -0400

Kevin,

I have checked back on your posts of this topic and I think
I understand where the confusion exists.  Firstly, I think
the proposed regs have it right this time.  Where the confusion
exists, I believe, is your interpretation of Directory Information.
As 99.3 describes Directory Information it essentially catalogs
examples of Directory Information and does NOT define a directory
as any form of repository.  You keep referring to "student ID
number must not be in the directory".  You can store an SSN,
biometric or any other form of personally identifiable data
in a directory - where directory is some repository with defined
protocols for accessing it.  What you can't do is release
that information without following the rules of FERPA.  So, you
are free to store the student ID number in a directory or any
other database - just follow the rules on releasing that info
and you will be fine.  Am I correct in identifying the point
of confusion?

/mrg