Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WPAD DNS floods

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:43:29 -0700

The MAT sent a request to this list a few weeks ago asking for feedback
from schools on the WPAD topic because we were asked by MS to
investigate the impact in higher ed.  We only received three replies and
passed the information along to MS.

This is the first I've heard of a single machine producing that many
WPAD requests, which makes me suspect that it somehow got caught in a
loop.  MS might be interested in more details in this instance.  If they
are, would you like us to put them in contact with you?

In general, campuses may see a lot of WPAD.school.edu requests from
their networks and if you don't have some mechanism of host name
approval that would prevent someone from registering that name, you
should consider adding some sort of block to using that hostname.

Brad Judy

REN-ISAC MAT

IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder