Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey - How much of Faculty/Staff directory information is made public? And How?

From: "Kieper, David" <kieperd () UWGB EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:26:15 -0600

We make available:

Name, operational title, department, office location, email address, direct telephone, and mailing address.  This is
the same information we make available in our public printed directory.

The main restriction is that in the web search form (an ASP application), the person has to put in at least a partial
first and last name, and the number of hits returned to a search is limited to ten.  These restrictions were put in
place to limit harvesting (after we observed harvesting of email addresses by a local business).

Regards,

David Kieper
Manager, Network and Infrastructure Services
Information Technology Security Officer
Information Services Division
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay                     office: (920) 465-2238
2420 Nicolet Drive                                      fax:    (920) 465-2864
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001   USA                 email:  kieperd () uwgb edu